Sylvain Guintoli celebrated his first victory of the season in the MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship in a race two thriller at Assen as Bennetts Suzuki team claimed their first victory as Josh Brookes and Leon Haslam returned to the podium ahead of the Brands Hatch title decider.
On the opening lap Shane ‘Shakey’ Byrne had hit the front of the pack from Haslam and James Ellison with Guintoli, Brookes and Christian Iddon in close contention. However instantly the riders were jostling for positions and by the third lap the Bennetts Suzuki of Guintoli was at the front ahead of Haslam.
Haslam instantly fought back though to try and recapture the lead but as the pack streamed across the line for the fourth time Byrne led Ellison with Haslam and Guintoli next up with Brookes ready to make his attack.
By lap seven Ellison had edged into the lead on the McAMS Yamaha at the final chicane, but Byrne was pushing hard and two laps later he regained the position with Guintoli holding third ahead of Haslam and Brookes.
The five riders were trading blows for the positions and Haslam then moved ahead of Ellison to claim third as Guintoli then took the lead. On lap 16 the leading pack were all side by side as they entered turn one; Byrne and Haslam came off worst as they drifted wide and allowed Guintoli, Ellison and Brookes to emerge ahead.
Guintoli then held the advantage but Ellison was under attack and Haslam made a move on the penultimate lap to move second, but Brookes wasn’t done yet. The Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha rider waited until the final lap to make a pass; the Australian lunging ahead into second place to maintain second place in the overall standings.
Ellison held off Byrne who finished fifth for the Be Wiser Ducati team with Peter Hickman edging ahead of Jake Dixon to claim sixth place ahead of Christian Iddon, Dan Linfoot and Bradley Ray.
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Assen, race two result:
- Sylvain Guintoli (Bennetts Suzuki)
- Josh Brookes (Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha) +0.589s
- Leon Haslam (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +0.873s
- James Ellison (McAMS Yamaha) +1.315s
- Shane Byrne (Be Wiser Ducati) +1.410s
- Peter Hickman (Smiths Racing BMW) +7.605s
- Jake Dixon (RAF Regular & Reserves Kawasaki) +9.221s
- Christian Iddon (Tyco BMW) +9.450s
- Dan Linfoot (Honda Racing) +9.502s
- Bradley Ray (Buildbase Suzuki) +15.012s
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship standings:
- Leon Haslam (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) 612
- Josh Brookes (Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha) 580
- Shane Byrne (Be Wiser Ducati) 579
- Jake Dixon (RAF Regular & Reserves Kawasaki) 558
- Peter Hickman (Smiths Racing BMW) 549
- Jason O’Halloran (Honda Racing) 526